Picksea gives you tips on how to find your ideal waterproof bag. Sand, UV rays, latent humidity, salt... When you're out at sea, there's no shortage of threats to attack your clothes or electronic equipment. Waterproof bags are the perfect solution to avoid these problems and protect your belongings effectively.
From lightweight, durable backpacks to large, waterproof travel bags, manufacturers offer a wide range of products to discover. There are several important points to check to find the right bag for your activity:
- The capacity of the bag
- Leakage index of the bag
- The type of closure
- Type of bag
- The use of your bag
The capacity of the airtight bags
- 0 à 40 L : Perfect for transporting small equipment on board, ideal for small trips to the seaside to protect your keys, mobile phone, GPS, tablet or beach towel.
- 40L à 60L Suitable as a small travel bag for regattas or walks on the water. Big enough and practical enough for a weekend trip. It can easily be stored in a cabin and is easily carried over the shoulder.
- 60L à 80L : For shopping or long weekends, it allows you to carry enough stuff or carry bulky equipment safely. Ideal for offshore races or demanding regatta sailors.
- 80L and + The waterproof travel bag par excellence. A large capacity to carry a maximum of material, the models with wheels allow you to pull the bag on docks or airports without too much force on your arms.
The protection rating of the watertight bags
Picksea offers you in its category "Waterproof bag" that bags designed to withstand both water and sand....
Usually made with thicker fabrics to provide better resistance to abrasion and impact and to ensure optimal impermeability, we find PVC or nylon bags, which are widely used in the marine environment. The most effective fabrics in extreme conditions are above 600g/m², they will be thick and strong enough to avoid tears and tensions.
The IP rating is an international standard for assessing the tightness of a bag. It is measured on a scale of 1 to 8 for moisture. Picksea offers in its "leak-proof bag" category only bags that meet at least IP X4, which corresponds to a proven resistance to rain.
The different types of closure
The seams are the weak points of the bags, most of them are thermo-welded at high frequency to avoid water infiltration but 3 categories exist for the closures :
- The 3-turn folding closure. Efficient and with an incomparable look, it allows a quick total immersion in water while protecting its contents from water and dust.
- Zipped bags. More practical than bags with foldable closures, they are sometimes lined with a protective flap when the zip itself is not waterproof. Note that bags with the patented TIZIP closure are IPX7 waterproof. All zip bags allow better access to the contents without having to unpack everything.
- Submersible cases. The must to protect your electrical equipment, they are resistant to both dust and water. With a removable foam interior, they provide perfect protection with their rigid shells and O-rings.
The different types of waterproof bags
- Backpack : Convenient for carrying gear on trails, at the beach or just to keep a few things handy when you're out on the water, waterproof backpacks are often reclosable by rolling up. The shoulder strap models provide a resolutely marine look.
Some backpacks are specially designed to carry laptops or digital tablets. In this case, they have a thin, lightweight and robust compartment for insertion.
: Removable shoulder straps.
The capacity of the bag which decreases with winding.
- Bag : For daily use, at work, on the boat or on the beach. Waterproof panniers give a typical marine look and are useful for travel in wet weather when you need to take your papers or computer with you.
: Marine look, multi-pocket.
Limited watertightness (except for TIZIP bags).
- Waterproof suitcases : For transporting fragile technological and/or electrical equipment, the cases provide optimum protection thanks to the solid shells and O-rings that ensure a watertight seal. The internal foam is removable to adapt to the contents and provides shock absorption in the event of a fall or collision. Their capacities vary from 1L to 40L and their weight from 1 to 10 kg.
Some brands offer a lifetime warranty.
: Bulky for large models.
- Watertight covers and hulls : For the more technophiles, there is a wide range of watertight covers that allow you to use your smartphone / tablet / computer or VHF in a marine environment. You will find simple pockets in which to slip your equipment, which are closed by different closing systems and which allow the use through including for touch devices.
For iPads and iPhones, there are also specially adapted waterproof shells available. Thin and lightweight, they even allow access to the jack and power socket.
: You can finally use a phone underwater.
Touch products are slightly less reactive.
Use of bags
Strolling/Excursion to the seaside
To carry the bare necessities but to protect your belongings from sand and moisture, lightweight and practical for storing keys or your mobile phone.
The weekend trip
To leave with a few things and practical enough to be stored in limited spaces, some models offer air evacuation valves to reduce the volume of the bag.
Ideally, a wheeled bag of more than 70L to carry enough stuff and not be encumbered by weight while on the move.
Water sports (Jet-skiing, Surfing, diving...)
Practical bags to be able to carry and store your equipment properly. Rather as a backpack to be easily carried on the jets or on the beaches, it must have a good capacity to carry both the equipment and spare items.
- For bags with roll-up closureThe capacity decreases when you close the bag, if you're just in terms of filling, take a slightly larger bag.
- The waterproof bags facilitate the phenomenon of condensation in hot weather, to avoid humidity, put absorbent paper in the bag (paper towel type).
- Large bags can be transformed into backpacks by using the shoulder strap handles.
- The Ferrasac bags patented by Guy Cotten are particularly resistant. With 640g/m², it is resistant to tension, abrasion and tearing. One of the best materials on the market.